I'm here! I said I'M HERE!!!

This is new for me, so bare with me.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

25th Annual International Asian American Film Festival

American Fusion
Starring: Sylvia Chang, Esai Morales and Collin Chou


I've lived in the bay area all my life and tonight I attended my first Asian American film festival movie. I know shame on me.
I have to admit when I read the synopsis for all the different movies I didn't know where to begin. Since, it was my first movie I decided to go with something fun. I wasn't ready for the serious dramas yet.

American Fusion, a romantic comedy with Yvonne, an Asian woman writer and Jose a Mexican dentist. As their paths cross and Yvonne deals with her demanding family this movie takes us on a romantic comedic ride that leaves us to predict the ending. "I'm going for a strike" says Yvonne at the bowling alley with the handsome dentist. This movie has a great cast that performed superbly. A character stayed with me even after the movie, co-writer of the film Randall Park. He plays Yvonne's son that loves hip hop.

I was proud to see a great film with an Asian cast. Although the movie was predictable in some parts it deserves to be shown in more screens across the country. It did have its funny moments as well. The only gripe I have about the movie is that Chinese should've been spoken more. I understand that this film is trying to reach wider audiences but because of that compromise the movie lost a little authenticity. A dinner amongst the family and the majority of the conversation is in English. There was steamed fish on the table, everyone was using chopsticks and there were bowls of rice. Even grandma's mah-jong friends spoke mostly in English. Grandma at one point sends one of her grandson's back to china to learn how to speak Chinese. But she asks him in English! Sylvia Chang (Yvonne) and Esai Morales ( Jose) are pleasant to watch and in the movie Yvonne describes Jose as unforgettable and that he is.

I give this movie 3-1/2 glasses of champagne


Support Asian Films! Go see this movie!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Rowdeezy said…

    Way to go on supporting small films.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Nguyen Family Circus said…

    we got to make it a point to watch more indie films. you know my view on them. i appreciate it so much more than all these hollywood films. So when is our next movie date?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home